Wednesdays in the Word

1 Corinthians 15:58 says, "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

This verse is so encouraging to me. And especially lately it has been. Because even though we can be immovable and solid and steadfast in our faith... often times we feel like our efforts aren't appreciated. For example, lately my faith has been very solid. I have been steadfast in my efforts to be Christ-like. I have been immovable and only because my eyes are focused and constantly being refocused on the Lord. I've given gifts and money to friends for support in hard times, with no reciprocation of a thank you. I've put in time to friendships, where equal time on their part has not been reciprocated. I've put in countless hours, days on projects that haven't been given appropriate grades. I've given much time to the Lord in word, deed and thought, and certainly He has blessed me. But I begin to think that because my efforts seem unappreciated, my work is in vain (is unsuccessful, is ineffective, is insignificant). When you feel like you're on your last string, you want the same encouragement that you give to others. You want the "you're doing a great job" or you want the random card on your doorstep from your neighbor. But sometimes life doesn't go that way. :) Sometimes God gives you work that goes seemingly unnoticed. Granted, the Lord is teaching me through this to be dependent on His love. To trust that even though I may not hear the "thank yous" from others, my work is still significant and powerful. Let this verse be encouraging to you because it declares that your toil, your work, your efforts are not in vain in the Lord. They are not unsuccessful, they are not insignificant or ineffective. The Lord says that it is good. So be encouraged... while being steadfast and immovable, even if others come up against you... your toil is not in vain.


Lindsay (October 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM)  

I always look forward to your Wednesday posts! So encouraging and well said.

Margaret (October 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM)  

I loved this post. Something I needed to read! Thank you:)!

Post a Comment


Followers