The final post of Panama... but other blogs still to come.

So its already Friday. Boy does time fly. I can't believe its been almost a week since I've been home from Panama. Let me fill you in on what's happened. Last Saturday in Panama was a day for free time and adventure. We had plans to go on a hike up a mountain through the jungle, but through a series of things that happened, our plans got changed around a bit. No biggie though! I was just thankful to do anything in Panama. First we went to the ruins. Its a city that Captain Morgan tore down 500 years ago. The buildings that remain are what they called "The ruins." We happened to visit on the 500th anniversary. 500 years! Isn't that crazy? Out of all the days we could have been there, we were there celebrating 500 years with Panama. Unfortunately all of their celebrations were canceled due to a tragic bus accident the night before that killed 24 people. It was interesting to see the great love that Panama has for its people. I mean a 500th anniversary celebration was entirely cancelled. The flag was at half mass. And people were in mourning. What a country. Although we were very sad about the tragedy, we were happy to find that the celebration was canceled because it would have been way too crowded to go. Instead, we went, no one was there, and we got in free because of the anniversary. This place was beautiful. Then Raul took us to some place that I never got the name of. It is all of my student's favorite place to be. Its the most beautiful place to take a walk. Many proposals happen at this place. Its right on the ocean and it was so awesome to see. After leaving there, we went back home to rest up for a bit before our dinner reservations at 8. We got to go to a dinner show! There was Panamanian dancing and music. It was so much fun! A perfect way to end the trip. I got home around midnight and thankfully was already packed. I was so tired, but really didn't want to go to bed. I wanted to soak in every last moment of Panama. I thought, "Oh I can just sleep on the plane tomorrow so its ok if I stay up." But I had no idea what God had in store for me the next day. We got to the airport around 5am and made it through all the normal airport procedures. We're on the plane, in the air, and on our way to Miami. I'm sleeping like a rock when the pilot comes on over the loud speaker and says, "We're turning around and heading back to Panama. We'll start our decent in 15 minutes." I laughed to myself thinking it was a joke and headed back to bed. He came on shortly after with a more serious tone telling us to pull our seatbacks up and make sure that we were buckled. I turned to the girl next to me, that looked and talked no different than my cousin Jenny, and I asked her, "Is this a joke?" She said, "No, don't you smell that?" I took a deep breath in and whoa! I smelt smoke... like something was burning. I couldn't believe that this was happening. You hear of stuff like this happening every once in a while, but you never think that it will actually happen to you. Well this was real. We landed and had firetrucks surrounding our plane when we landed. Pilot said that this was just procedure. We sat on the plane for awhile wondering what we needed to do next when they finally let us off the plane and onto buses that would take us back to the terminal. Here we wanted for 9 more hours for the crew to fix the plane. It was too expensive to fly a plane out to the Panama airport, so we had to wait until this plane was fixed. It was a miracle that we got on by 5. If any later, we would not have been able to fly, because the crew could not work overtime. Unfortunately everyone had missed their connecting flight, so everything was chaos. We made it to Miami around 10pm and ended up having to stay overnight in a hotel there. Culture shock. This hotel had walls that changed colors. It had vaulted ceilings and beautiful architecture. I did not know how to react. It was hard to stay there, knowing that people were living in poverty all across Panama that night. I still don't think I've coped with how to live life here in the states again. Its awfully hard to explain, but I haven't quite figured out where that line of unselfish living is. From not having any toilet paper to being a 5-star hotel. Terry and I finally made it home on Monday afternoon. Even though the both of us were hungry, we didn't care to stop for food. We just wanted to get home. Looking back at my experience in the airport, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Panama taught me how to see every moment as a God-given opportunity rather than a detriment to my schedule. I surprised myself with the way I reacted in the airport. I never cried, never got frustrated or impatient, never got worried or upset. Why? Because I knew that my God was in control and had a plan in mind. Terry and I were able to be a light that day in the airport. Having conversations with people. Sharing about our experiences in Panama. We even gave a little girl one of our Luke books to help her with her English. She was beyond excited. Even better, her parents would have to help her read it, meaning that in some way, they would get a taste of the Bible. I remember a lady standing behind me in line as we waited to get a new connecting flight. She was panicking. She was very unhappy and could not understand how the airport people could do this to us. I began a conversation with her and somehow, by the grace of God, I assured her that everything was going to be ok. I reminded her that this is not the airport's fault. They did not know that the plane would malfunction. They were doing the best they possibly could. Everything that came out of my mouth that day was gentle words. Everytime I wanted to feel upset, a Bible verse popped in my head. That same one that I used for morning devotionals. Philippians 4... For I have learned to be content with whatever circumstance I am in. Let me tell you, that its easier to give a Bible verse in a morning devotional than to actually live it out in your life. But when you do find the strength to live it out in your life, you truly are blessed. That time in the airport was filled with opportunity from God. And I thank him everyday for his hand in my life. I thank him for watching over me. His rod and staff comfort me. Yes... even his rod.

Buddy Gray (August 26, 2009 at 10:55 PM)  

Moving Words . . . Our God is Good!

Post a Comment


Followers